SwagBucks

Monday, October 19, 2009

Rescue 911

Remember that show? They detailed stories of real emergencies, reenacted them, and highlighted the heroes who saved the lives of the people being profiled. I could have been on an episode of that show tonight!

I got a phone call around 6:15 pm. I didn't recognize the number or the name. I answered anyway and heard heavy breathing that was obviously coming from an old person. I said "hello" several times before I got a response. The old man said, "I think I'm having another heart attack!" and continued with his heavy breathing.

My response was, "Sir, you have the wrong number, but I am going to call an ambulance for you." Heavy breathing continued for 10 or 15 more seconds while I grabbed my cell phone so I could continue to talk to him. He hung up just as a 911 operator answered the phone.

I gave the operator the phone number from my caller ID and the name associated with it. Then, I got to work on Google. Found out the number was coming from a local retirement community. I Googled the last name and our city and found the Facebook page of this man's son. I confirmed it was the right person via photos on Facebook where the dad was tagged and looked to fit the mold of someone who might be having a second heart attack. (He was pictured with an oxygen tube and tank and was obviously elderly).

I left a message on the answering machine for the son. Hopefully they were able to connect, and hopefully Glenn is okay!

If I hear any updates, I'll be sure to let you know.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh my goodness! good for you for your quick thinking. i hope everything turns out okay for this gentleman. just the kind of selfless serving that I blog about yesterday.