SwagBucks

Friday, July 24, 2009

Story Time Programs

Today was the final day of String Bean's story time class at the public library. We will definitely be signing her up for the class again for a few reasons.

The most important reason is socialization. Although she didn't spend a lot of time playing with other kids, she did spend a lot of time interacting with other kids. Whether she was having toys or books stolen from her or stealing from them, she was starting to learn about interacting with her peers. In my brief experience as a teacher, I found many of the preschool and kindergarten students spent a considerable time learning to socialize with their peers. What better way to help String Bean get a jump start on school than to encourage socialization at a young age?

The other really important thing about the program was its repetitiveness. As one of the librarians said to us the first week, "Parents, this repetitiveness may seem boring to you, but the predictability is thrilling for your child." As the time went on, I saw how true this was. Class always opened with the "Choo-Choo" song. Besides having to sing it over and over at home, String Bean giggled with delight when it was time to start story time and the song began. Today, on our way in, she made the baby sign for book and immediately started the choo-choo sounds of the song. When I said, "Yes, we are going to go sing the Choo-Choo song!" String Bean picked up her pace toward the Children's department of the library.

If you are looking for something to do with your child, I highly suggest your local public library as a resource for wonderful literacy programs that are free! (My favorite 4 letter word!)

2 comments:

Mission of mamahood said...

I'm a huge fan of library storytimes! I just wish that we could make the time work every week...it seems like her naps get in the way a little too much.

Christy said...

You're such a good mommy. I never took my kids regularly to the library stuff.