SwagBucks

Friday, April 10, 2009

Ear Aches

I woke up yesterday morning with severe pain in my left ear. It really felt like someone had shoved a stick in there and was swirling it around. Great visual, I know.

I took some ibuprofen and eventually the pain went away. My trusty friend, Google, told me that ear infections often have intermittent pain but are most commonly associated with fevers. I didn't have a fever. So, I went to work. After all, my pain had subsided (despite that living in a tunnel-effect that I was "enjoying").

My office is typically HOT during this time of year. It can be 40 degrees outside, but I'll wear short sleeves to work because the heat has one setting. Let's just say, I'll never freeze there. If we go through another ice age, I'll wait it out at work.

Yesterday's office climate did not disappoint me. I was hot and my coworkers complained about the heat too. Mild relief came, as always, when I used my stapler to prop open the door and get some kind of cross breeze.

When I got home, I kept thinking how abnormal that ear pain was, so I decided to check out the Take Care Clinic at Walgreens. After checking in at the kiosk, I chatted with a father-daughter pair who were waiting for wife/mom and daughter/sister to finish up their turn with the nurse practitioner. 30 minutes later, I learned the daughter/sister did not have strep, but several other (unmentioned) problems.

I was pleasantly surprised that the nurse practitioner visit felt like a normal doc visit. (Where I found out, I did have a fever.) She got my history, took my vitals, diagnosed my ear infection, and gave me an antibiotic prescription. She even took into account that I am breastfeeding and double checked the prescription she was writing to be sure it wouldn't be harmful to String Bean. This particular nurse is a firm believer in homeopathic remedies (especially for nursing moms). She was happy to hear I use a Neti Pot and that I visit a chiropractor on a regular basis. In fact, she said that my use of the Neti Pot is probably why I don't also have a sinus infection.

I was not thrilled that the ear drops I got cost $130. Insurance covered $72 and our health care savings account covered the other $58.

Well, laundry is calling...At least I think that's what I heard.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hey, your chiropractor is kinda hot!
;)