SwagBucks

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Good Christmas Songs

Since yesterday I posted about the worst Christmas song ever, today I thought I'd post about the best Christmas songs I've ever heard.

White Christmas sung by Bing Crosby. It is my goal this Christmas to memorize the whistle solo. I'm *this* close to getting it.

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch sung by Thurl Ravenscroft. Is there any other situation where it is acceptable to say "Your heart's an empty hole," or Your soul is an appalling dump heap, overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of deplorable rubbish imaginable, mangled up in tangled up knot"?

Feliz Navidad sung by Jose Feliciano. It is catchy, and you definitely can't get it out of your head once you've heard it! Plus, it doubles as a New Years song!

Carol of the Bells by David Foster. I just love how this song feels. I always try to clap on the syncopated parts of the string section when they play the bass notes. I'm not very good at it, but it is a fun challenge.

Hark! The Hearld Angels Sing is Mr. Bean's pick for the best Christmas carol ever. "It does the best out of all the hymns of spelling out the redemptive qualities of the Christmas story," he says. Can you tell he has a bachelors degree in music?

Santa Baby sung by Eartha Kitt. I've just rediscovered it this year. The tongue-and-cheek look at an extravagant Christmas list reminds me of the materialism of our culture. I also think it's kinda funny.

The entire Charlie Brown Christmas album. This is a classic for our family. Mr. Bean has almost the entire album memorized for piano. We listen to it nearly year-round.

Duke Ellington's Nutcracker Suite. This is a great instrumental jazz album. If you are having a Christmas party this year, this would be a good soundtrack for the background!

The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't be Late) by the Chipmunks. Any child of the 80s remembers this song fondly. Let's see a show of hands for who wants a hula hoop this year!

Sleigh Ride by the Boston Pops. I have memories of my dad "conducting" his imaginary orchestra as they played Sleigh Ride when he thought no one was looking. You can count on Dad doing this almost with the same probability of Santa visiting the house on Christmas Eve.

Ok. What did I miss? Share with me so I can load my iPod with the appopriate play-list for the long drive home in a few days.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Well, we like the Go Fish cd "Snow". We also listen to the Avalon Christmas CD - think it's called "Joy", but I'm not sure. They only have one Christmas one so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Also, I love the song "Christmas Day" by Michael W. Smith and Mandisa. I know there'e more, but I can't hink of any others.

Anonymous said...

Dad says "Joy to the World" is his favorite (after "Sleigh Ride," of course!)because it describes God's love for us in sending His Son, and that love is available to all, "far as the curse is found."

As for me, Mandie would say it is "Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it Snow!" However, that is just a vicious rumor. I love the 'Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies" in the Nutcracker Suite, and my favorite hymn is Gloria (in Excelsis Deo) because I love the vocals in the chorus, and I can almost imagine the angels singing to the shepherds as they praise the Lord on the night of Jesus' birth.

Lil Boo & Co. said...

I didn't see any Nat King Cole on there....he's one of my faves for Christmas Classics. Oh...and Harry Connick Jr. I like the "old" sound I guess...make sme feel all warm and fuzzy in spite of the frigid weather!! :)

Happy holidays!