SwagBucks

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

It's a Trick for us.

Halloween, that is.

As I've mentioned before, our Peanut has Prader-Willi Syndrome. (Yes, I'm going to link every time.) The biggest health risk for those with PWS is life-threatening obesity. The obesity stems from a very slow and different acting metabolism and is coupled with an insatiable appetite. In other words, people with PWS will grow morbidly obese on a normal diet and always be hungry besides. Peanut has just started to gain weight quickly and we are in the process of changing our family's nutritional outlook.

When it comes to the candy holidays, we parents already have a problem, and
then comes Halloween, the worst of the candy holidays. The whole celebration revolves around candy, even the alternative events. Trick or Treat? bags of candy. Trunk or Treat? entire cars full of candy. So what are we to do? Walnut is well versed in the joys of Trick or Treating and has been talking about this Halloween since last Halloween, nearly salivating at the thought of so much candy. But, we can't have it in the house. We just can't. We can't let Walnut and Cashew have what Peanut can't have and there is only so much sneaking that we're comfortable with. Some one suggested to Filbert that we only keep a 1/4 of the candy we collect, but that is still too much for Peanut to have and we need to break the candy tradition sooner rather than later.

So to that end, we are going to an apple orchard for Halloween. Royal Oak Farm. We hope to make it a yearly tradition. Walnut, Peanut, Cashew and I went there last fall with my co-blogger Mandie, the unblossomed String Bean and our friend Fancy Aimee, who totally rocks on car trips with small children.

8 comments:

Mandie said...

That was a very fun farm...even when you are 8 months (or more?) pregnant. I second the Auntie Aimee shout out!!

Unknown said...

Good for you for making the break! I do not like halloween at all, the candy being one of many reasons. But you have even more reason - the very life of your child!

You go, girl! Stick to your guns on this!

Amy said...

Thanks, Heather! It's so hard, though, I'm a total candyface.

Mandie said...

Amy, I'll sneak you (and you only) some of Ruby's candy. She can't eat it with 2 1/2 teeth! (And my father-in-law is giving out WHOLE candy bars!)

Anonymous said...

We never did Halloween growing up and I never felt left out because I always thought it was a rediculous (that doesn't look right) holiday. Looking on the bright side of things, you will save money by not having to buy costumes or candy.

Anonymous said...

I guess I should call myself the other Amy.

Christy said...

I think it's a great thing you're doing. Even if you didn't HAVE to do it, it would still be a great idea for all of you. I've taken myself off of sugar (two weeks now) and I've encouraged my kids to cut back. So far they haven't complained, but now they are loaded after trunk or treat! I'll have to confiscate it all and ration it.

Anonymous said...

The apple orchard sounds like a fabulous alternative. I'm sure it will be a fond family memory and honored tradition after a few years.